3.02.2011

Artist Post...




The three artists I have interest in, [at the moment] are: Georgia O’Keefe, Renee Magritte and Salvador Dali. I love these artists for various reasons. Originally, I considered writing about someone more modern and interested in new media, but I cannot help my love for surrealists.

Salvador Dali is my all time favorite artist. I have multiple works of his hanging in my room. I love the way he paints so realistically, yet the situations are impossible. I fell in love with his works when I saw Dream Caused the Flight of a Bee around a Pomegranate a Second before Awakening.


Dream Caused the Flight of a Bee around a Pomegranate a Second before Awakening


I don’t know what is is about this particular work, but it just grabbed my attention. The tigers are beautiful and very realistically rendered. It’s such a fantastical piece, though, with tigers coming out fo a fish mouth, seemingly to originate from a pomegranate. The spaces Dali creates are very dreamlike, and reminds me of my own dreams. Who doesn’t have dreams that don’t make complete sense? I often base artworks off my own dreams, such as my comic book for this current project. I also love his Swans Reflecting Elephants because it is such a whimsical idea that plays with reflections and our perceptions. I also love the idea of a world like our own being parallel, sort of like a parallel universe, which is what I did for my digital project.

I love Georgia O’Keefe, and have loved her ever since I was a little girl. My parents of course told me about her and Mary Cassat and the like, because of the whole ‘female artist thing” they had going on. I have grown to love her more and more over the years. When I was little, the artworks of hers which stood out to me the most were her skulls. I love her flowers of course but her skulls are probably what I want to focus on for this project. Well, not just the skulls. I love the works of hers, with cow skulls and white roses next to them. I know many people may not feel this way, but I see a strong sense of beauty in a skull. I love bones, and love to find them. I found some deer bones, which I have yet to clean, and I plan on painting them in the near future. I love how she paints them, and I feel there’s almost a surreal like quality to them as well. I love flowers as well, especially roses, which I think I could incorporate into this project.

I also love Reneé Magritte. I love his idea of art portrayed through his works, such as in The Human Condition. I like the idea and would like to expand on it further because it makes me wonder how we all see the world- how does everyone else see the world? How is it different than how I see it? I also love his Attempting the Impossible because it deals with how we create representations on canvas or paper, and how they relate to the actual subject. He has a less realistic style than Dali, but I love the way its simpler, and bolder in a way.

Attempting the Impossible

So far in the semester, the comic book project has been my favorite. I love using ink, and I have always struggled with coming up with story lines. I remembered this dream I had and decided to build up on it because of the connection with time from the prompt. I really like this, and am still working on it. I hope it’s easy to read as well, because I tend to focus on smaller details. I need to work on the graphic content of the piece, and how accessible it is to readers. But what do people want? I have to figure out how I want the viewer to receive it as well.

I liked the chair project a lot actually because I usually don’t think of the negative space like that, and it looks super awesome on a colorful background. It took a lot of effort for me not draw the actual chair, but to focus solely on the negative space, which I liked- it got me to think differently than normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment